Pele recalls Gordon Banks’ historic save in emotional tribute to England goalkeeper

Pele recalls Gordon Banks’ historic save in emotional tribute to England goalkeeper
Brazil legend Pele has described Gordon Banks as a goalkeeper with magic after the England goalkeeper passed away aged 81.Banks, widely regarded as England’s greatest ever keeper, will be remembered for his unimaginable save from Pele’s header during the group stages of the 1970 World Cup.Defender Carlos Alberto had released Jairzinho to sprint down the right before rounding Terry Cooper and clipping a perfectly-weighted cross back through the England penalty area.Banks’ save in 1970 is one of the most famous in football3
Banks’ save in 1970 is one of the most famous in football
Pele rose majestically into the air and sent down a bullet header which kicked up off the hard Mexican turf and looked set to fly into the back of the net.Banks, though, somehow threw himself across to stick out his massive right hand and push the ball over the crossbar.“I scored so many goals in my life, but many people, when they meet me, always ask me about that save,” Pele said. “While it was indeed phenomenal, my memory of Gordon is not defined by that – it is defined by his friendship. He was a kind and warm man who gave so much to people.“So I am glad he saved my header – because that act was the start of a friendship between us that I will always treasure. Whenever we met, it was always like we had never been apart.“I have great sadness in my heart today and I send condolences to the family he was so proud of.Pele spoke of his friendship with Banks3
Pele spoke of his friendship with Banks
“Rest in peace, my friend. Yes, you were a goalkeeper with magic. But you were also so much more. You were a fine human being.”While Pele was shocked by the save, Banks knew exactly what he was doing.“When we had training sessions (in Mexico), I noticed that when the ball was dropping in front of me, it was kicking up, not staying low like it did in England,” he said in an interview on the Football Writers’ Association website in January 2018.Banks was 81-years-old when he passed away3
Banks was 81-years-old when he passed away
“I stopped back to do some extra shooting training to help me get used to it, and that helped me make the save. Pele was around the penalty spot when the guy crossed it from the wing, and I knew he was going to get up to it, because he could jump really high.“I knew that I had to come off the line to narrow the angle, then once Pele had punched it with his head down to my right-hand side, I knew I had to get over there very quickly.“The ball was going in and as I dived I had to anticipate how high it was going to come up from the hard surface. As I reached across, I got it right, the ball hit the top of my hand and went off… but honestly, I thought it was a goal.“I hit the floor and turned around, I saw the ball bounce behind the goal – and I thought to myself, ‘Oh, Banksy, you lucky t***’.”

Sanchez has endured a tough 12 months at Old Trafford

Norwich City secured promotion to the Premier League with a 2-1 victory over Blackburn Rovers. City dominated the opening 45 minutes and should have had a lead much bigger than they got. Crisp strike from Marco Stiepermann and Mario Vrancic put them two ahead, but Rovers kept the game alive through

Drinkwater has not made a competitive appearance in 13 months
West Ham United news: Samir Nasri's future hangs in the

Eden Hazard and Chelsea face Tottenham tonight

Previous Post Previous post: Tottenham Hotspur news: Dele Alli posts image of bottle being thrown by Arsenal fan and makes joke about the incident Next Post Next post: Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino told to end speculation by publicly rejecting Manchester United job
NewsNow: Spurs News, Tottenham Transfers News & Rumours

Injuries have restricted Jack Wilshere to just five appearances this season

England suffered semi-final defeat again one year on from the World Cup, after losing 3-1 to Holland in the Nations League following defensive errors from Ross Barkley and John Stones.

Chelsea’s Champions League success of 2012 denied Spurs the chance to play in the Champions League

[Teams] Liverpool vs Wolves: Confirmed line-ups from Anfield chance of pipping Manchester City to the Premier League title on the final day of the season. huge fitness boost ahead of
Team news: Liverpool confirm triple injury boost but key man


Manchester United transfer news and gossip latest: Perisic

Durham believes Liverpool should come down hard on Robertson for his yellow card

Nov 13, 2018 · Brentford have announced the death of Robert Rowan, the club's technical director, at the age of 28.. Rowan, who was born in Fife and started his career as a scout for Celtic, had been with
Brentford technical director Robert Rowan dies, aged 28

Spurs players walked out to the sound of a marching band

Tottenham's title aspirations took a major blow as they succumbed to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Burnley at Turf Moor. Ashley Barnes tapped in from close-range from a mishit Johann Berg
Burnley 2-1 Tottenham: Spurs' title chances all but over

Carragher is the only defender from the 2005 XI to make the combined team

According to Marca Argentina, West Ham are near the front of the queue for Manchester City defender Nicolas Otamendi. West Ham and Wolverhampton Wanderers are the two teams leading the race for Otamendi, who is set to leave Man City in the summer.
Man City news: Star wants to LEAVE this summer - West Ham and

Pepe wants a move to Monaco

Dec 15, 2018 · Liverpool 'have to be angry' against Manchester United, says Klopp - video This is a meeting of two teams without a league title between them in the past five years.

Many believe De Ligt will become one of the world’s best players

Bolton boss Phil Parkinson was sent to the stands that day, and has now been given a two-game touchline ban for his actions. But Leeds have now confirmed that both clubs have been fined by the FA
Bolton consider appeal over Leeds United touchline clash

Fabregas may be on his way out of Stamford Bridge this month

Sport > Football > European Lionel Messi scores 51st hat-trick of his career to help Barcelona take another step towards La Liga title. Messi was given a standing ovation from the Real Betis fans
'The best ever': Fans react to Messi's staggering hat-trick

Post a Comment

0 Comments